Homepage of Sascha Caron
Radboud University and Nikhef
Particle Physics, Dark Matter,
Colliders, Machine Learning,
ATLAS experiment, Phenomenology,
Data-derived Search Strategies
I'm a particle physicists and work since begin 2006 for the ATLAS experiment at CERN (Geneva). I was a member of
the DØ experiment at Fermilab (Chicago) between 2004 and 2006
and a member of the
H1 experiment at DESY (in Hamburg) between 1998 and 2004.
My research objective is the discovery of a signal of physics
beyond our current theory of the microscopic world (the so called Standard Model).
Select some of the research topics from the menu bar.
- A complete list of my papers (also with ATLAS, D0 and H1) can be found :
- My Outreach work and some review articles
- Interested in really old stuff? My Ph.D. thesis and diploma thesis at the RWTH Aachen can be found here.
- For those even more interested in my physics life: An ultrashort CV
RESEARCH: ATLAS EXPERIMENT
This is a collection of work that I am doing in ATLAS (including some links to notes, papers and relevant webpages):
Monte Carlo studies, Data analysis, software, trigger, upgrade activities:
RESEARCH: DATA SCIENCE & MACHINE LEARNING IN PARTICLE PHYSICS
I work on the following topics:
- A database for high-parameteric data in the fields of Astro and Particlephysic : Prototype at idarksurvey
(based on SPOT developed with the Dutch escience center)
- Using Machine Learning and advanced data analysis to identify the nature of Dark Matter. We initated the worldwide first workshop and build a community. Go to
- The the idark project with the Dutch escience center
- The BSM-AI project to use machine learning to learn the global model-data: susy-ai & bsm-ai
- The ASTRO-AI projec to use ConvNets for Astrophysics, a first paper is : ConvNets for gamma-rays
- The DeepXS project to learn cross sections: DeepXS
- Data-derived searches for New Physics and search algorithms:
work in H1 experiment,
, work in ATLAS
@Radboud University Nijmegen:
- since 2016 coordinator of the Master track Particle Physics and Astronomy
- each year: Machine Learning for Physics and Astronomy, Master course
- each year: Particles and the Cosmos, Master course
- each year: Standard Model and Beyond, Master course
- each year: Structure of matter (Nuclear and particle physics), Bachelor course, Radboud University, see blackboard course
- 2006-2011 at the University of Freiburg
Talks at experiments
- ATLAS: CERN indico (protected) search for Sascha, Sasha or Sacha Caron ;)
- D0 and H1 on the collaboration webpages (mostly outdated)
Some presentations at Conferences, Summer Schools, Workshops, Colloquia
- Beyond the Standard Model , Introduction to the Terascale 2019, Hamburg, 2019
- Machine Learning based Dark Matter searches , Yeti 2019, Durham, 2019
- Simulating the most elementary interactions of our Universe with Machine Learning , Surfsara Super Day, 2018
- Zoeken naar nieuwe fysica met de hulp van Machine learning , Triangulum Apeldoorn, 2018
- Searching for new physics without knowing the signal model , IML meeting, 2018
- Automatization of searches for new physics at colliders, colloquium, Bern, 2018
- Lecture at Machine Learning for High Energy Physics summer school Oxford, 2018
- CERN re-interpretation workshop, CERN, 2018
- Machine Learning in HEP, Dutch Theory Symposium, 2018
- Finetuning of the MSSM, Finetuning workshop DESY, 2018
- Accelerating the Search for Dark Matter with Machine Learning
, Leiden, 2018.
- Master Patriclephysics and Astrophysics info Master voorlichtingsdag, Nijmegen, 2017.
- The Fine-tuning of the Minimal
Constraints by LHC,Future Colliders
and Dark Matter searches EPS HEP Venice, Italy 2017.
- Dark Matter at colliders Lectures at Summer school ISAPP 2017 - The Dark and the Visible Side of th Universe, 2017.
- Masterclasses Masterclasses, Nijmegen, 2017.
- Supersymmetry Phenomenology Nikhef topical lectures, 2017.
- Dark Matter: Complex Models, Astrophysics and the LHC Astrophysics symposium, 2017.
- Dark Matter 2: The return of the SUSY WIMPs Seminar, Groningen, 2016.
- The case for 100 GeV Bino Dark Matter Seminar, Bonn, 2016.
- Future of global fits for Dark Matter Dark Matter at the LHC workshop, Amsterdam, 2016.
- Search for Dark Matter at the LHC Physics@FOM Velthoven focus session plenary, 2016.
- LHC run 2 - Towards a greater discovery with ATLAS! Nederlands Natuurkundige Vereniging (NNV) yearly meeting plenary, Lunteren 2015.
- SUSY searches in hadronic final states at LHC XLV International Symposium on Multiparticle Dynamics, Kreuth, 2015.
- MSSM description of the Galactic center excess spectrum HEP-EPS conference, Vienna, 2015.
- MSSM description of the Galactic center excess spectrum Nikhef Colloquium, Amsterdam, 2015.
- HL-LHC prospects for strong interacting new physics LHC physics at high luminosities workshop, CERN 2015.
- Guiding and self-guiding searches for new physics at the LHC IMAPP symposium, Nijmegen 2015.
- MSSM description of the Galactic center excess spectrum Astronomy seminar, Nijmegen 2015.
- needed to decline various invitations in 2013-2014
- Exploring all possible regions of Supersymmetry with ATLAS colloquium Bruessels, 2013.
- Higgs and Searches for new physics at the LHC BLV conference 2013, Heidelberg
- Results from the LHC: ATLAS Dark Attack conference, Ascona, 2012
- Recent constrains on WIMP Dark Matter from detection and production experiments Physikalisches Kolloquium, Freiburg, 2012.
- Higgs, SUSY or something else? First results from the ATLAS experiment at the LHC FOM meeting, Veldhoven 2012, LHC focus session
- LHC physics (part 1-4) Maria Laach Particle Physics Summer School 2011
- Searching for Supersymmetry at ATLAS Moriond Electroweak 2011 conference plenary
- Searches for new physics at ATLAS plenary, ATLAS-D meeting, Goettingen 2011.
- First SUSY searches with ATLAS physics colloquium, RWTH Aachen 2011.
- SUSY or the unexpected physics colloquium, Freiburg 2011.
- First SUSY searches with ATLAS HEP seminar, Nijmegen 2011.
- Hunting for SUSY, INFN seminar, Rome 2011.
- First SUSY searches with ATLAS HEP seminar, Oxford 2011.
- First SUSY searches with ATLAS DESY seminar, Hamburg and Zeuthen 2011.
- mainy links missing from before 2011...
- Suche nach ersten Signalen des Supersymmetrie am LHC DPG 2010, Bonn, invited session.
- Dark Matter and the LHC Launch09 conference, Heidelberg.
- Background determination methods for inclusive SUSY searches ATLAS Germany meeting 2009, Bonn.
- OVERVIEW: SUSY first data ATLAS Germany meeting 2008, Munich.
- Prospects for standard SUSY searches at the LHC ICHEP 2008 conference, Philladelphia.
- Tau identification efficiency from top events and tau-electron seperation with early data ATLAS Germany meeting 2008, Munich.
- Search strategies for unknown new physics ATLAS Statistics workshop 2007, CERN.
- Search strategy for SUSY et al. at LHC SUSY-BSM LHC workshop 2007, Bonn.
- An interface to high pt HERA event data: Quaero@H1 DIS 2007 conference, Munich.
- Search strategy for SUSY et al. at LHC SUSY-BSM LHC workshop 2006, Aachen.
- Analysis status and plans in Freiburg ATLAS Germany meeting 2006, Heidelberg.
- The Silicon Track Trigger at D0 Beauty 2005 conference, Assisi.
- Ideas to improve the discovery potential at LHC HEP seminar 2005, Freiburg.
- Status of the D0 experiment NIKHEF annual meeting (jaarvergadering) 2004, Nijmegen.
- General Search for new phenomena HERA - LHC workshop, 2004, CERN.
- General Search for new phenomena NIKHEF 2004
- Searches and EW measurements at HERA
5th Rencontres du Vietnam (2004) converence
Particle Physics and Astrophysics, Hanoi.
Resumee of Aachen activities in H1 Seminar Aachen 2003.
- Jet Production at HERA
QCD 2002 High-Energy Physics International Conference, Montpellier.
- Jets and QCD in photon proton reactions
International Europhysics Conference On High-Energy Physics (HEP 2001), Budapest.
Three-jet production in deep-inelastic scattering and photoproduction at HERA
8th International Workshop on Deep Inelastic Scattering and
QCD (DIS 2000), Liverpool.
People working with me:
(Interested in Beyond the Standard Model or Dark Matter searches, ATLAS detector/trigger or phenomenology? Send me a mail)
Dr. Sara Alderweireldt (ATLAS General Search, Dark Matter and Trigger, within ATLAS)
- Jeroen Schouwenberg (ATLAS Trigger and Generic Searches, within ATLAS)
- Bob Stienen (Machine Learning at LHC, within idark)
- Luc Hendriks (Machine Learning and Dark Matter, working with Tom Heskes and Bram Achterberg, within idark)
- Jonas Wuerzinger (MSSM scans in ATLAS)
- Sjoerd Ypma (interpretation generic searches in ATLAS)
- Antonia Struebig (PhD, ATLAS MET trigger, searches for squarks and gluinos, 2018)
- Alex Campa (Master, Dark Matter in dwarf galaxies, 2017)
- Ruud Peters (Master, Finetuning in the MSSM, 2017)
- Nikolas Morshuis (Bachelor, 2016, MSSM Dark Matter)
- Jonas Wuerzinger (Bachelor Honours, 2016, DM spectrum uncertainties)
- Joep Leenaarts (Bachelor, 2016, Squark decays to W,Z and Higgs bosons at LHC)
- Melissa van Beekveld (with Wim Beenakker) (Master, 2016, GC excess interpretation and LHC)
- Luc Hendriks (with Bram Achterberg, Astro) (Master, 2015, GC excess MSSM solutions)
- Jelmer van Amen (Master, 2015, ATLAS Generic Searches)
- Renz Bakx (Bachelor, 2015, ATLAS Monojets)
- Geert-Jan Besjes (PhD, 2015, ATLAS SUSY interpretations, squark/gluinos, now University of Copenhagen)
- Jeroen Schouwenberg (Master, 2015, ATLAS L1MET trigger, stays in the team)
- Marie Lanfermann (Master, 2014, Higgs+DM, now Geneva PhD student)
- Remco Castelijn (Master, 2014, Higgs+DM, now Nikhef PhD student)
- Daphne van den Elzen (Bachelor, Neutralinos pairs at LHC, 2014)
- Melissa van Beekveld (Bachelor, Higgs+DM in ATLAS, 2013)
- supervised 8 more PhD students in Freiburg
- supervised 8 further Master students