Absoft Fortran 77 for Linux
This is the compiler I regularly use.
Their F77 product has a full complement of VAX extensions, and
produces the fastest (single-processor)
executables under Linux of any Fortran compiler
I've tested. A source-level debugger is included which is very
nice and has both Motif and text-window interfaces.
The new F77 compiler is even nicer than the old one.
I've been able to use it to link with
which helps alot.
Absoft has a native F90 product as well. I have used it fairly
often and it seems stable although I have not stress-tested it nearly as much
as I have their F77 product.
- A 14-day trial evaluation of Absoft's compilers is available.
- optional Auto parallelizing preprocessor with OpenMP support
- optional IMSL Math & Stat libraries
- Argonne National Laboratory maintains Absoft/MPICH libraries
New Release Information
Absoft has an
about this compiler on their web site.
- The Fortran 90 compiler has been extended to include
support for most popular workstation and PC extensions (a
bad idea if you ask me, but nobody did).
- F90 Code optimizers have been improved
- New hard-copy User Guide is included; instructions and
examples on how to use the product, porting tips, etc.
- New Concise F90 Reference is now included in addition to an
F77 Reference manual. Both are in electronic form.
- Optional IMSL Math and Stat libraries have been upgraded
- LAPACK90 is included with an F90 interface
- New version of DISLIN graphics package
- Autoparallelization and tools for SMP, DMP are available at additional
cost, developed in partnership with PSR.
- Distribution in both RPM and TAR formats, compatible
with glibc, and any Linux implementation based on kernel 2.0 or later
- Click here
to go to notes on my initial impressions of this compiler, along with
some indications of the speed of the code it produces.
- Click here
to go to my "day 2-5" impressions, including notes about porting a
huge code with lots of VAX/VMS extensions.
- Click here
to see how Absoft responded to the bug mentioned in the "day 2-5" notes.
- I have ported a large subset of the CERNLIB libraries
to the Absoft/F77 Linux environment. With the new F77 release,
these libraries are no longer needed!
The distribution is available from the CERN ftp server if you follow
Differences from the standard distribution are included for those who
wish to build on what I've already done.
Last modified: Mon Oct 22 11:44:42 MET DST 2001